Kali's breed is a mystery. She's clearly a mix, but of what?
Last night her trainer suggested Kali might be a Decker strain giant rat terrier mix. I'd never heard of the breed, but apparently they're rat terriers that were bred to be larger than 25 pounds. After looking at some photos and reading descriptions on line, there might be something to this. I've thought she has some hunting dog in her, both because she's very stimulated by quick movement and because she constantly "tracks" what's happened on the ground, just like my hound mix. While rat terrier ears usually stand upright, in some cases they flop over. In fact, I think she looks a lot like a brindle version of these giant rat terriers.
Wikipedia's description of the typical rat terrier personality also fits Kali - smart, socially sensitive, has an "off switch", easily trainable, and very easy to live with. Unfortunately I don't think she got the exposure to new things that's recommended at an early age, but she's a total experience sponge - the first time she encounters something new she's uncomfortable, but the second time she experiences it, she's a pro.
No comments:
Post a Comment